01 Oct 2021 Check in
I enjoy writing, though it's been a while. I enjoy doings lots of things in life, but life gets busy sometimes, and for me, it feels it has been busy for a very long time. At this time, I'm apart from my wonderful wife, Em, and kiddos, Ry, Bubba, Sweet Angel Princess, and K-Bub, half way across the world preparing for a new adventure for a few months. In our separation, I've given thought as to how I can fill my time, and thus I decided to record my journey, or as much as I possibly can, at least.
This year, I have been on 3 trips (TX x 1 wk, MD x 2 wks, NJ x 2 wks) since July prior to ever starting my current adventure. I recently departed my family, and leaving them at the airport is never easy, but this time, there were lots of tears shed since this will be the longest of my trips, and I've never been apart from the two babies of the house for any period of time longer than 9 weeks. This was my first time in VA, my second time in Germany.
When I departed from home, I believe it was among my youngest children who left me with the parting gift of RSV (thankfully not COVID19 since I tested negative twice the week prior to my departure). Needless to say, I was the cause of some concern among other passengers due to the high frequency of coughing and sniffles.
Our plane trip over the Atlantic was only 7 hrs, ending in a slight delay at another airport for 4 hrs remaining on the plane just so we could make a short 13 min flight to our final destination. From that point, we were escorted to our living quarters for our remaining stay, where we found our bags, found our rooms, received supper, then were welcomed by a hot shower and a decent bed. There's no TV, no heat or AC, but there is good WiFi at least to be able to call home everyday, watch Netflix, other movies and TV shows, check emails, and write this blog.
I'd like to say it's been fun up to this point, but honestly, I have too much time on my hands. I have given several days for my body to finally rest and get over RSV, the ungodly virus that stole more of my breath and energy than COVID19 ever did (fortunately, my case of COVID was only mild in nature, unlike many).
I do not have a roommate, but I share a bathroom joining another room with my other medical colleague, Kyle, and another young guy named Brian.
Today, I followed my normal routine, which is to wake up between 0630 and 0730, get dressed, grab breakfast and watch a movie (today, it was Christmas Chronicles II on Netflix because I'm a die hard Christmas movie fan year round), then lie down for a bit until lunch time. After lunch, I watched another movie (Twilight) until I was able to speak with my wife and kiddos back home. Later, I went on a nice walk (it's 61 degrees out, so a bit warmer than prior days so far) with Kyle and Brian.
This evening, I plan to grab dinner with the boys, watch more movies/shows, maybe talk to my parents, grab a shower, then lie down for bed.
Not a very exciting life right now, but making the best of it. Last night, I created countdowns to special holidays/events/occasions to be milestones until I return home.
HIGHLIGHTS SO FAR:
- I was able to grab some souvenirs back in VA and send them to Em and the kiddos prior to my departure; they've already arrived to them, been opened, and they seem to enjoy them (Em always enjoys a Starbucks coffee mug with the state name or country name on it from my travels; this year, I've collected TX, MD, NJ, and VA for her)
- I made it safe and sound to my intermediate destination with all bags and gear in tact
- I'm roughly 80% recovered from RSV at this point thanks to decongestants, steroids, Mucinex, cough drops, and Vicks
- I've gotten to talk to my family every day so far
- I'm with a great group of people I've met along some of my other journeys
- There is still coffee
- I've had no issue acclimating to the new sleep schedule
Comments
Post a Comment